Ginger Tofu Slaw WrapsMay 04, 2022
I'm taking inspiration from the restaurant appetizer menu to create a main dish dinner out of lettuce wraps. These Ginger Tofu Slaw Wraps have 3 key elements going on: crispy tofu, a crunch slaw mix, and a sweet and savory dressing.
Finger foods (aka handhelds) are one of my favorite family meal ideas. These vegan lettuce wraps are double the fun because you can serve them DIY with the fillings and toppings set up as a food bar - with options for the non vegans too. I hope you enjoy these as much as my family does!
To simplify your prep, buy a pre-cut coleslaw mix in the produce section of your grocery store. Prep the Ginger Garlic Sauce on the weekend so it's ready to go when you need it.
My family loves their jasmine rice so make a pot on the weekend with the rest of your batch cooking and reheat when ready to serve. Trader Joe's also makes great vegetable pot stickers. Find them in the freezer section for another easy side dish.
Ginger Tofu Slaw Wraps
Prep time: 5 minutes | Cook time: 30 minutes
14-oz package tofu
½ head Napa cabbage, thinly sliced
½ head red cabbage, thinly sliced
1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
1 yellow bell pepper, thinly sliced
1 large carrot, shredded
6 green onions, thinly sliced
2 Persian cucumbers, julienne cut
1 ½ cups Ginger Garlic Dressing (see recipe below)
1 avocado, thinly sliced
½ cup fresh basil, cut in chiffonade
½ cup fresh cilantro leaves
wraps of choice: jicama, collard green or romaine leaves, spinach tortillas
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Break the tofu into bite-sized pieces and spread out on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or a silpat mat. Bake for about 30 minutes until golden and crispy.
- Meanwhile, combine the cabbages, bell peppers, carrot and green onions in a bowl. Toss together to combine.
- When the tofu is cooked, toss with 2 tablespoons of the Ginger Garlic Dressing and stir it into the slaw.
- Pour additional Ginger Garlic Dressing over the salad to taste.
- Serve with jicama wraps, collard green or romaine leaves, or spinach tortilla wraps. Garnish with the the avocado, basil and cilantro.
Soy Allergy? Use seitan or Pumfu instead of tofu.
Spoiler Alert: Ginger Tofu Slaw Wraps are best eaten when served, but individual ingredients can be stored in separate air-tight containers in the refrigerator for 2 days.
Ginger Garlic Dressing
Prep time: 10 minutes
Makes 1 ½ cups
1/2 cup tahini
4 Tbsp seasoned rice vinegar
4 Tbsp soy sauce, tamari or shoyu
4 Tbsp agave nectar
5 cloves garlic, pressed or minced
1 Tbsp grated fresh ginger
2 Tbsp water
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk together all of the ingredients.
Soy Allergy? Use coconut aminos instead of soy sauce.
Spoiler Alert: Ginger Garlic Dressing will stay fresh in an air-tight container in the refrigerator for a week.
Batch it up! Ginger Garlic Dressing is delicious drizzled on salads or wraps.
More "Insert Category" Recipes: