Creamy French Onion Potato Gnocchi SoupDec 15, 2021
I've never met a potato I didn't like - in any form, but this potato gnocchi soup might just be my favorite way to eat a potato this soup season! I've taken the classic French Onion Soup and given it an upgrade with potato gnocchi. Crispy garlicky chickpeas add another layer of flavor and give this soup more texture so that it feels more like a stew. It's got the same robust flavor you expect in an onion soup with so much more.
I've added in a little coconut milk to give the soup extra creaminess but feel free to omit it if you prefer a clear broth. Instead of a cheese garnish, we're keeping it green with fresh parsley.
This is not a soup to rush through. Each layer of flavor requires its own amount of TLC. Starting with onions, keep the heat high enough so that the onions are actively caramelizing but not too high that they char instead of caramelize. Stir them often!
The type of vegan beef stock you use matters so make sure you use a high quality brand such as Better Than Bouillon. It's my go to any time I want to add beef flavor to my vegan recipes.
Since we've skipped the cheese topping, I recommend serving this soup with a side of cheese toast. Violife makes a great Parmesan and Follow Your Heart has some great cheese slice flavors.
A big green salad pairs nicely with this soup. Select an equally green dressing such as a luscious Green Goddess.
Creamy French Onion Potato Gnocchi Soup
Prep time: 15 minutes | Cook time: 50 minutes
Makes 8 cups
1 Tbsp + 1 tsp vegan beef bouillon (such as Better than Bouillon) or 4 vegan beef bouillon cubes
1 Tbsp olive oil
4 Tbsp vegan butter
4 medium yellow onions, thinly sliced in half moons
1 15-oz can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp fresh thyme, chopped
1 Tbsp vegan Worcestershire sauce
16-oz shelf stable vegan gnocchi
2 bay leaves
1 tsp salt
freshly ground black pepper
¼ cup full-fat coconut milk
½ cup Italian flat-leaf parsley
- Combine 32 ounces of boiling water and the vegan beef bouillon in a large bowl. Stir well so that the bouillon is completely dissolved. Set aside.
- In a large stockpot or Dutch oven, heat the oil and butter over medium-low heat. Add the onions, along with a pinch of salt and freshly cracked pepper. Saute until the onions are very tender and slightly caramelized (about 20 minutes). Stir often to avoid sticking or burning.
- Add the chickpeas and smash with a spoon. Cook for about 5 minutes until slightly crispy. Add the garlic and thyme and saute for about 2 minutes.
- Stir in the Worcestershire sauce and the gnocchi.
- Add the vegan beef broth, bay leaves, salt and pepper. Bring to a slight boil and then simmer for 15 minutes. Stir in the coconut milk. Garnish with the parsley to serve.
Ditch the oil: Replace the oil and butter with ½ cup of vegetable broth or water.
Spoiler Alert: Creamy French Onion Potato Gnocchi Soup can be stored in an air-tight container in the refrigerator for a week.
Batch it up! Creamy French Onion Potato Gnocchi Soup can be frozen for up to 3 months.
More Soup and Stew Recipes: