Easy Garlic RiceDec 09, 2020
Want a quick and easy lunch? A grain bowl is our choice. Batch cook a grain and a dressing on the weekend and you can throw a bowl together in less than 10 minutes by tossing in a drained can of beans, fresh greens and raw vegetables.
When it comes to grains, you can’t go wrong with a batch of our Easy Garlic Rice. It’s versatile and full of flavor to layer in any bowl.
Easy Garlic Rice
Prep time: 10 minutes | Cook time: 30 minutes
Makes 4 cups
2 Tbsp olive oil or vegetable broth
½ cup finely chopped yellow onion
16 cloves garlic, finely minced (divided)
2 cups uncooked brown or white jasmine rice
4 cups vegetable broth
4 Tbsp vegan butter, softened to room temperature
½ tsp garlic powder
½ tsp salt
½ cup fresh parsley or cilantro, chopped (optional)
- Rinse the rice thoroughly in a fine mesh strainer.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, add the olive oil (or vegetable broth), onion and half the garlic. Cook for about 3 minutes and add the rice. Cook another 3 to 4 minutes until the rice is slightly translucent.
- Stir in the vegetable broth and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer for 20 to 25 minutes.
- While the rice cooks, in a small bowl, combine the butter, remaining garlic, garlic powder and salt. Stir well until combined.
- When the rice is done, remove from the heat and fluff with a fork. Stir in the garlic butter and mix until completely melted and absorbed in the rice. Taste and add more salt if needed.
- Garnish with parsley or cilantro, if desired.
Ditch the oil: Omit the garlic butter in Step 4 and instead, roast 8 garlic cloves in the oven at 400°F (wrapped in foil) for 45 minutes until soft and caramelized. Mash them with a fork, along with the garlic powder and salt and stir into the rice. Continue with the rest of the recipe as written.
Spoiler Alert: Easy Garlic Rice will stay fresh in an air-tight container in the refrigerator for a week.
Batch it up! Easy Garlic Rice makes a tasty side dish or can be incorporated into grain bowls, casseroles and stir fry dishes.